– Job Description –
Business Office Coordinator
The business office coordinator at KVH works collaboratively with the practice manager to see that the practice runs smoothly. Duties include Human Resource management, record keeping, performing clerical duties related to animal patient care and treatment, and to provide miscellaneous support to the veterinary practice manager, doctors and staff. This position requires a practical knowledge of hospital organization and services, the basic rules and regulations governing visitors and animal patient treatment, data entry, word processing, mail service, and a practical knowledge of the standard procedures, veterinary records and terminology used in the hospital.
The Business Office Coordinator must be proficient in Microsoft office and be able to delegate effectively. Team building is an essential part of this position.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Management reserves the right to assign varied job tasks to any employee.
• Advertising (Lynden Tribune, Phone Books, Radio, NW Horse Source, Other)
• Monitor Facebook (Coordinate with IT Dept.)
• Attend Chamber Meetings
• Monitor We.Care and Dr. Kulshan e-mail accounts / Distribute & record
• Check on-line for fax for Rx orders / print and give to Inventory Manager
• Orientation for new employees
• Training schedule for new employees
• Work with area leads to coordinate performance reviews
• Employee relations – Manage employee issues, concerns, or conflict
• Safety Coordinator – Monitor / document / meetings / reporting / MSDS
• Consult with Legal / HR Counsel as necessary
• Maintain employee files
• Coordinate disciplinary process
• Maintain / Monitor benefits
• Create and maintain KVH training manuals
• Advertise, recruit and interview support personnel
• Verify employment references for support staff
• Update and maintain current job descriptions
• Create and distribute management memos as requested
Students / Preceptors:
• Schedule / arrange housing / staff notification / tour / paperwork and housing stipend.
• Facility Tours
• Month end processing / reports
• Process care credit applications
• Bank Deposits / Reconciliation
• Annual Insurance meeting
• Incoming on-line order distribution / completion
• Process held check and credit card payments
• Process Drop Ship Orders as necessary
• Assist clients with billing questions and issues
• Cornerstone adjustments and voids as requested
• Coordinate and attend Clinic Meetings
• Meet with practice manager and staff leaders in discussing hospital and staff issues. Support management decisions and relay all appropriate decisions/outcomes to reception staff.
• Attend SHRM/HR meetings
• Handle client complaints
• Incoming Fax/Scan Distribution and clean up files
• Doctor / staff support as needed – including reception duties
• Follow all hospital regulations in regards to general safety, hazard communications, emergency action plans, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and ergonomics as outlined in the Employee Handbook and safety manuals.
• Be instrumental in setting a positive tone for each day. Encourage positive attitudes and ensure client service is the main priority for all staff. Act as arbitrator without taking sides to resolve issues among staff creating positive team building.
• Act as mentor for staff in fulfilling their daily routines, job performance and personal development. Delegate duties as deemed appropriate to staff. Offer constructive feedback when needed and provide encouragement and praise for exceptional client/patient service.
• Identify and report positive and negative behaviors to management. Maintain healthy lines of communication between staff and management.
• Immediately report any illegal and/or threatening activity to practice manager. Immediately report any safety issues to practice manager.
• Maintain strict confidence regarding issues discussed with owners and/or practice manager.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
The Business Office Coordinator is a non-exempt, hourly position that works under the direct supervision of the Practice Manager. This position will be responsible for seeing that the practice runs smoothly when the practice manager is not in the building.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• AA degree or higher in Business, Bookkeeping/Accounting, Human Resources or related field.
• Two or more years of experience performing work in the Human Resources field, including recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, and employee relations.
• Knowledge of standard bookkeeping practices and procedures and experience with accounts payable and receivable.
• Proficient with computers and software, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook) and Quickbooks.
• Experience with business promotions marketing.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including listening.
• Ability to work independently as well as build a strong team environment.
• Knowledge of hospital procedures and operating instructions for making appointments, assembling patient medical records, recording test results, relaying information regarding patient’s condition, and compiling and submitting data on patients as treated.
• Knowledge of the spelling and meaning of commonly used terminology of veterinary medicine to accurately record results of tests and file veterinary medical reports according to alpha, numeric or subject matter headings.
• Personal contacts are with animal clients affected by a variety of problems, visitors and other staff members. Considerable tact and diplomacy is required. Must be able to accurately relay client’s opinion on the medical complaint(s) of the animal(s) to the staff members who will be involved in treating the patient(s).
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds to move office and clinic equipment.
• Washington State Driver’s license and proof of insurance at the time of hire.
• Other combination of education and experience that provide the incumbent with the necessary qualifications may be considered.